A graduate of Central Bible College in Springfield, Missouri, John and his wife, LeeAnn, served in churches in Washington State before going to Uruguay, South America, where they spent four years as missionaries.
Prior to accepting the pastorate at Covina Assembly, the Johnsons spent five and a half years as Senior Pastors of Calvary Temple in Seattle, Washington. While at Calvary Temple, their church distinguished itself by experiencing unprecedented growth, earning “Church of the Year” honors as the fastest growing church in the Northwest District of the Assemblies of God. Calvary Temple also led the Northwest District in world missions giving for two consecutive years.
The Johnsons arrived at Covina Assembly in the fall of 1999. The church increasingly became a reflection of the multicultural community surrounding it. Covina Assembly under the leadership of the Johnsons for over fifteen years, experienced a growth to over 2,000 in attendance and it now has thirteen campuses spread across the city of Los Angeles. Pastor John and LeeAnn have a passion for seeing people come to Christ and equipping them for release into the ministry. Their goal at Covina Assembly was to create a community in which God’s love and power were at work in all members, changing their lives and impacting the greater Los Angeles Region and beyond.
Pastor Johnson has served as the General Presbyter for the Northwest District to the General Council of the Assemblies of God and as a member of the National Foreign Missions Board of the Division of Foreign Missions. He has also served on the Board of Trustees for Vanguard University in Costa Mesa, California. Pastor Johnson has been an Associate Trainer with John Maxwell’s training conferences in Manila, Philippines, teaching/training leaders in the Asian regions. He is a member of the Council of Church Leaders for the Graduate School of Theology at Azusa Pacific University. He is a Leadership Coach/Trainer/Director for the Healthy Church Network for the Southern California District Council and served as a General Presbyter for the SoCal District Network of the Assemblies of God from 2008 - 2014.
John and LeeAnn, have three children: Heather, Eric (JoAnn), and Kyle (Katrin), and a granddaughter, Tatum Joy, and four grandsons – Russell, Tanner, Shane, and Cooper.
- Serving on the SoCal Network Leadership Team
- Director of Missions
- Oversight of SoCal Personnel serving as a Missionary or Chaplain
- Process Missionary and Chaplaincy Applications and Renewals
- Administrative Oversight, Training and Direction of:
- Missions Executive Committee
- Missions Committee
- Missions Regional Leadership Team
- Director of the SoCal Network Missions Project
- Network Conference Planning
- Network Conference Missions Banquet
- Lead Mission Trips for Pastors
- Director of Compassion Ministries
- Member of CityServe Board of Directors
- Oversight, Training, and Direction of Compassion Regional Leadership Team
- Fulfill Assignments as Requested by the Superintendent
- Participate in Preaching Ministry as Assigned or Requested
- Participate in Out-of-Network Ministry as Requested
- Serve on Local and National Committees Related to Compassion Ministry and Missions
- General Council Executive Presbytery Auditor
- Serve as Liaison for the Superintendent as Requested
John Johnson, Assistant Superintendent
Haley Hanson, Administrative Assistant for Missions and Compassion